Sunday 8 July 2012

MEET TAIWO OLUSHOGA

Meet Taiwo Olushoga
 It was a very interesting and inspiring time with Taiwo as she shared her passion, gave an insight on who she is and what she does. It challenges you to see such a young woman working so hard to carve a niche for herself, to become economically empowered and striving to take her business to the next level irrespective of the circumstances surrounding her. In her very words "it’s not so rosy but I love what I do, who I am and I know where I'm heading, that’s what keeps me going".

Taiwo Olushoga is the founder and CEO of Teeshogs clothier, founded 2011; she is a fashion designer and stylist. Be inspired as we take you through the journey of the interview we had with her.

Q: Why did you decide to start your own business? A: Initially it was a hobby but as time went on I fell in love with what I was doing and then it became a passion for me.



Q: Did you always know you will start your own business? 
A: Yes, I knew I was going to be a business woman. When I was doing my first job I enjoyed it but I just got tired of the 9-5 job routine, because I get restless and bored when I do the same thing over and over again. I just love a new twist to things, to life. The fact that I am on the move doing business just makes me happy.

Q: What’s the story behind your company’s name? A: I had this nickname; brownie back in school, there after my friend Salami started calling me Teeshogs. Initially I didn’t like it but the more I heard it, the more it sounded nice. So when it was time to name my company I didn’t know what to use so I decided to use Teeshogs after all it wasn’t that bad and it sounded unique. 

Q: What was your career path prior to starting your new business? 
A: When I was in school I had always had the entrepreneurial spirit, I engaged in buying and selling of accessories, make up and things that fascinate ladies. Immediately after school I worked somewhere called the 'Etiquette Place' for four months before I went for service and now am doing my business.
 Q: What type of clients do you work with and which of your services are most in demand?A: I don’t have a particular age range. I do for both guys and female, as much as I would love to streamline my audience I also want to give everybody an opportunity to wear Teeshogs, so I work with everybody; male, female, old, young as well as babies. Casuals are mostly in demand and native wear as well.

Q: What are you working on right now? A: I have so many ideas in my head that I have started to put into writing. I want to do a fashion shoot, fashion show, a website and have a catalogue by August. Right now the right capital for that is holding me back. I style as well, but the clients I really want to work with always ask for my look book, so that is also something I am working on, especially with artists. 

Q: Can you describe your typical working day? A: Okay, Mondays to Friday I do my weekly office job since am serving at the moment, then majority of the time after 5pm I do business. Saturdays are just awesome, because I visit up to 5 places in a day as well as Sundays to see clients. I hardly have fun and that is the sacrifice u have to make as an entrepreneur. Clients expect you to be super human and you cannot afford to get angry even when they put pressure on you. I hate to disappoint and thank God so far I haven’t.



Q: What has been the highlight of running your business? A: My friend’s wedding I guess. I made her bridal train dresses. Although I have other highlights, but this is special because I was just four months into the business when it happened.

Q: What is the hardest part of running your own business? A: Customers are not the hardest part of my business but capital is, to be able to communicate my ideas to the world through photo shoot, runway shows, having the necessary materials to style my artist.

Q: If you could select anyone as a mentor, who would it be and why? A: Ermmmm, I like to learn from different people so I don’t stick to one person. But one major person is my mum. She is very hard working, relentless at what she does, a goal getter and very independent. I like Lanre Dasilva, Deola Sagoe, they are very unique and add a twist to their styles. Then also Pastor Bimbo Odukoya of blessed memory and Pastor Taiwo Odukoya

Q: What has been your proudest business moment so far?A: Before I started my business, my former boss didn’t know what to wear for an event and because of the things I used to say about having my own fashion house, she gave me the Ankara for the event to pick a style for her and sew it. I did and she loved it especially since she is not a fan of Ankara. I got really proud of myself.

Q: What or who inspires and motivates you? A: I believe in the saying about humble beginnings. Genevieve Nnaji, She has been able to achieve so much from what she does, she is focused and best at what she does. She is very hard working, a goal getter, intelligent and she started really small, look at what she has been able to achieve for herself today.

Q: What advice would you give to someone who is considering starting a business? A: I will say be sure you want to do it. You have to be ready to work hard. You have to be determined. People say I'm lazy because I love to sleep, I love to have a lot of time to myself, but trust me when its business I am very hard working. You also have to be ready to forfeit a lot of things. You have to stay focused.



Q: Fast forward five years from now, where do you think your business will be in 2016?A: God willing, I want my staff strength to be 20 in number, I want to have and run a big fashion house, I want to have styled a lot of artistes, I want to have had at list 10 fashion shows, want people to order for my clothes abroad. Go international, my brand been everywhere.

Q: Taiwo is there anything else you would like to share? A: ‘I believe in simple is more’ and adding a little complex twist too, that people cannot understand. Then also ‘humble beginnings’ do not despise.
For more information on the Interview an Entrepreneur please contact mszoeyspeaks on 08155553390 or email badmuseun09@yahoo.com
Do you have a question or comment for Taiwo? If so, please feel free to post a comment below:


3 comments:

  1. Wow!This is inpiring. I wish more young people in this part of the world will show the kind of ingenuity Taiwo has by starting her busines. Thumbs up Taiwo, i think you are really creative, i especially like what you've done with the bags

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo very inspiring!!! Nice one..

    ReplyDelete